Friday, April 18, 2014

Gone Fishin' (Plus Beer-Poached Salmon)

I need the next few days to recenter, so I'll keep this brief. Yesterday, I made dinner for Jacy: beer-poached salmon with a cream sauce and lemon garlic aioli and a sweet potato-feta-chickpea salad with a honey mustard dressing. (Recipe below.)

Then Jacy, Ellie and I checked out Chinatown After Dark, which are the Third Thursday of every month during the summer. Jacy and I bought some stellar rings and then we hit up Harvard and Stone for a quick drink before calling it a night.


This morning, Evan, Jacy and I went hiking at Elysian, grabbed some coffee at the Square One Boathouse. I am just about to hop in the shower and then off to meet Larissa and her new baby, Penelope! More fun things to follow, but I wanted to check in with a recipe. I have never poached salmon before and definitely not in beer. Generally, I just bake it, but it always ends up a bit dry. The poaching kept the lovely tenderness of the salmon and I was happy with this spring time meal, although it definitely needs a bit of green. But one makes do with what they have, amiright?













Beer-Poached Salmon:


  • Fill a pot (with a lid) with a can/bottle of a beer (I used a lager, but a hef would work too). Throw in some olive oil (2-3 tbsp), a spoonful of capers, a sliced lemon a couple of crushed garlic cloves plus salt and pepper.
  • Bring to a simmer. 
  • Throw in two defrosted salmon fillets that have a bit of mustard, skin down, in the pot. 
  • Cover and cook for 15 mins.


I then removed the salmon and made a roux to thicken the beer sauce and served with my lemon garlic aioli.

Sweet Potato-Chickpea Salad with Feta:

  • Two roast sweet potatoes, chopped
  • One can rinsed garbanzo beans
  • 4 ox of crumbled feta
  • salt, pepper 
  • honey mustard dressing (homemade with dijon and clover honey)
  • Combine
  • Inhale











No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...