Thursday, November 14, 2013

Adventures in Baked Eggs

So I'm on this new kick. Hiking every morning with the pup and/or housemates/friends. Then I try to fit on a run or yoga 2-3x a week. (Today, I did a leg workout and now I can't move so that's great :) ).

In addition, I'm doing a clean eating thing. (Also, "doing" is a strong word - attempting, trying, aspiring, etc. would probably be better.) The rules are pretty simple. Monday through Friday, I don't eat meat, lactose, or gluten. I pack all my lunches and don't buy anything processed. I still have a weakness for two things though: 1) lattes (but with almond milk) and 2) wine but I'm allowed one glass if I go out during the week.

So this means a few things:

1. I save money - woooooo
2. I've had way more energy
3. I am eternally grateful for my housemate's Ninja blender thing (as is Sophie bc she usually gets a lick)
4. I've become more creative in my "cooking for one" meal plans.

So last week was full of quinoa salads, kale and tomato and homemade dressings.

This week, I've been on a autumn veg spree and have been making comfort food minus the butter. My new favorite thing for breakfast is a coffee and a baked egg dish that I've been mixing up. Then I'll have a smoothie for lunch and then soup or something for dinner. That may not sound like a lot but if you break it down, its way more.  Just in breakfast and lunch today, I've had a ton of protein, several servings of fruits, low sugar, no dairy (except the egg, but that's digestible), no meat and I feel great.

But back to the purpose of the post - easy baked eggs.

I've done two faves this week.

Brussels and Cauliflower Hash:




  • handful of roasted brussels and cauliflower with olive oil, pepper, salt, cumin and some rosemary (I made this for dinner and had leftovers)
  • Soy cheese
  • egg
  • balsamic glaze


preheat over to 375.
place a cup of roasted veg in a small bakeware thing (i.e. ramekin)
sprinkle a bit of balsamic vinegar or glaze (Thank you, Trader Joes!)
crack egg on top with a sprinkle of soy cheese
Bake for 12-15 mins
The egg will continue cooking as you take it out, so don't cook it for too long!

Sweet Potato, Basil Pesto and Kale Baked Egg:


  • 1.5 tbsp chopped red onion
  • 1 cup kale
  • small roasted sweet potato (I do several at the beginning of the week to cook with/put salads/feed Sophie)
  • egg
  • soy cheese
  • basil pesto (you can buy, though I've been trying to make as well)

preheat oven to 375.
sauté kale in a sprinkle of olive oil (this takes the longest to cook)
sprinkle in red onion and let cook
then add chopped roasted sweet potato to warm through and mix in
place in bakeware
crack egg, soy cheese on top. Place a small spoonful of pesto on top
Bake for 12-15 mins

Clearly, these are far too easy to make, but so delish. You could roast the veggies with pancetta or bacon, add other veggies (carrots, potatoes, peppers, etc). Great possibilities and super filling :)

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...