Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Your Best Weekend Ever - LA Version

Dude, we aced it this weekend. The locations, the food, the people - all were a welcome break from the craziness of my work schedule. In between trafficking cases, the police brutality one and CEDAW petition, I was grateful for a busy, but relaxing weekend.

Locations Featured:

Blue Plate
1415 Montana, Santa Monica
Order the Breakfast Quesadilla and the Mac and Cheese Pancake (?)

Highland Cafe
5010 York Blvd., Highland Park
Order the hemp latte and chilaquiles.

The Greek
Griffith Park, Los Feliz
See the Lumineers - like omg.

Golden Road Brewing
5410 W. San Fernando, Glendale
Play cornhole and get the IPA.

El Caserio 
401 Silverlake Blvd.
Silver Lake
Order the Maduros con Queso and the Salchipapas (grilled plantains with burrata/sausage and potatos).

Caffe Vita
4432 W. Sunset Blvd
Silver Lake
Order the Iced Americano (duh) and get a cookie.

Silverlake Ramen
2927 W. Sunset Blvd., Silverlake
Order the Spicy Pork Belly Ramen and the Crispy Rice and Spicy Tuna Roll


Friday started off with wine, cookies from Sweet Lady Jane, and frozen yogurt from Yogurtland plus a lovely home-cooked meal by Christina. Sophie, Christina and I watched about 15 minutes of a horror movie before crashing and woke up for a walk on Montana and brunch at Blue Plate. 
We ordered the breakfast quesadilla and the mac and cheese pancake. Holy mother of god. First of all, I'm always disappointed by breakfast quesadillas - too much egg, too much cheese, too soggy, etc. But this actually might be the best one I've had. The mac and cheese pancake was interesting. It's actually a plain pancakes with spoonfuls of mac and cheese cooked into it, served with powdered sugar and syrup. The taste was good, the concept a bit disconcerting... it was a bit too much for me.



After that, Sophs and I headed home for a walk and then met Jacy at Highland Cafe for hemp lattes (my fave) and some work time. Evan and Ladi met us and tasted the delicacies that Highland Cafe has to offer. I went home and worked a bit more, took Soph on another walk and then had some delish Mexican food on York with Annie and her two friends, Hollis and James.


I picked Aline up for the Lumineers and we headed to the Greek. I heard amazing things about the show from Evan, who had gone the night before. I had purchased the tickets fan pre-sale, whatever that means, the seats were legit. Except we didn't have seats... we were in the pit. The show felt so intimate and of course, the venue is one of my favorites, so I was on a high. Until my gas light went on when we were stuck in the parking lot and I almost had a heart attack. But you know, so it goes.






Aline and I headed to Golden Road to meet up with Annie, Hollis and James again where I witnessed the epic stick throwing game. Literally throwing sticks. Like I can't. I have to go back - they have cornhole and giant jenga.
   
I was planning on like working on Sunday. That was a fail. I was quickly swept into a mimosa brunch at El Caserio in Silverlake, a place I had been meaning to try for their gorgeous patio. Minus the fact they were NOT dog-friendly (get with the times people) and a little bougie, the food was an interesting Latin American fusion and they were heavy on the champagne pours. We had a great group: Aline, Nora, Hollis, James, their friend Marsen, Jenaba, and Christina.






We hit up Caffe Vita for iced Americanos to get our heads on straight and then headed home to recharge. I napped for a bit and then met Evan for some life-giving Ramen at one of our favorite spots and we didn't have to wait that long - just about a half hour.



Exhausted, I came home and... worked. But for an epic weekend, pounding out some research wasn't so bad.

Now I want someone to come visit me so I can do it all over again.



Sophie was sleepy after our long weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...