Thursday, September 26, 2013

One for You, One for Me - Donut Friend

Donut Friend
5107 York Blvd, Highland Park

Sophie was due for her booster shots today, so I smuggled her into the car and to the vets before she even knew what happened.

A little thing about me: I have a really great pain tolerance. Like really great. I feel asleep during my tattoo. Once I didn't even realized I'd cracked a rib. BUT, and this is a big but, I am TERRIFIED of needles. It's a mind of matter thing. But I have cried getting a flu shot. At the age of 22. And it was the last one I got. And my friend Megan had to hold my hand. And I still cried.

So on my way to taking Sophie, I started getting a little panicked - for her, for me, for the world. And then I teared up, thinking of my little baby girl getting punctured with needles. Three to be exact.


Clearly, I should have asked the vet for a xanax or something, but we hurdled on and Sophie was in and out in less than 50 seconds. And she weighs 61 pounds.

Of course, after that trauma, rewards were in order. So Soph and I trotted over to Donut Friend, a new customizable donut place in Highland Park - close to my other faves: the Herm, Scoops, and Highland Park Cafe. This heaven on earth just opened a few weeks ago and I'd been meaning to try it and despite my diet, I went.



Um. People. What. Like OMG stop.

This place is cray. You pick your base - i.e. baked, gluten free, vegan and then your toppings, which ranging from mundane: sprinkles, nuts, etc. to ricotta, goat cheese, spices, balsamic reduction, etc. 

My un-caffeinated brain couldn't survive. So I ordered a cold brew to start ($3) - light, bright, slightly sweet - no add-ins necessary.



And I was thinking about designing my own donut, but I couldn't handle the pressure. So I ordered the Lemon Weapon ($4.00). Traditional fried donut, a light lemon curd, blueberry compote, light glaze and fresh mint. 

Vaccinations forgotten, Sophie and I inhaled it. Well, we waited until we got home, which apparently is the maximum self-control I can demonstrate. Yum.

But don't worry. I'm going to Cardio Barre tonight, even though I still can't bend my knees from Crossfit. NBD. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...