Thursday, October 3, 2013

One Eyed Gypsy and Pie Hole

One Eyed Gypsy
901 E. First
Los Angeles, CA
The Arts District

Pie Hole
714 Traction
Los Angeles, CA
The Arts District

There were a couple of questionable things I did yesterday. We won't get into all of them, but the major one was not having coffee until 6pm and then checking my student loans, so you can only imagine my dire mental state by the time 9pm rolled around. (Let's not even talk about my misfired screenshot #foreveralone).

Jackie, Evan and I checked out One Eyed Gypsy in the Arts District last night. I had actually never been, despite the fact it fits my 1920s/Dustbowl/speakeasy/hipster/decaying decadence thing that I love a la Villians and 4100. (Also interesting, Dana Hollister  is the visionary behind all those places' designs. Hopefully, she's available to do my house in 65 years when I've paid off my student loans.)


Really I went for the deep fried oreos, but ended up with the Piaget - a grapefruit/rosewater concoction of my dreams. It might be my favorite cocktail ever - the fruit, the tart, the floral undertones - so drinkable. Dangerously so.


Evan had the Monserrat - a chai spiced vodka. It was such a comforting combination of flavors - black tea, cinnamon, cardamom. Super autumnal.

Jackie went with the clowns cup - a refreshing cucumber lime thing. During Happy Hour, its only $6(!).

Long story short, we're going back like all the time.

After, Jackie and I were meandering through the Arts District and we drove by Pie Hole and saw the light on. If you follow my blog, you know that Pie Hole is one of my favorite places in Los Angeles, or maybe even the world. Their sea salt chocolate crostata makes my life worth living on rough days. Like when I get parking tickets. Anywho, Jackie and I were like WE HAVE TO GO. We found a lucky parking spot and flounced over like lambs in a spring meadow. We walk in and are quickly rejected because it is 10:17 and they closed at 10. We must have looked like our souls were decimated because Ariel (my new hero/messiah/role model) saw our faces fall and said one minute. SHE CAME BACK WITH THE LAST SLICE OF CROSTATA.

I can't deal. So generous and lovely and perfect and great and delicious and life-changing. I had been craving Pie Hole for days and have been so crunched for time that I haven't had a chance to venture over. Very rarely do you get a place as popular as Pie Hole still having that sweet, familial service. I am just so impressed.

It was a surprising and lovely way to end the evening. And also indicates I need to program Pie Hole's schedule into my phone.

xx






No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...