Thursday, December 10, 2015

DO, DRINK, READ

I was going to be productive this week. I had grand plans. Then I ended up with strep and am eking out a sad and lonely existence, in which my puppy refuses to acknowledge me and I drink flagons of apple cider with extra cinnamon and honey to soothe my throat. On the bright side, I've been able to catch up on the sweet nothings of distraction and obsessively clean my apartment of those wretched germs.

That aside, looking forward to trying some new candy recipes this weekend, going to the Echo Park Craft Fair, celebrating Sam's birthday, chilling with my mom, and going over to Carey and Paras' tonight for a shindig.

In other news, my aunt is now referring to me as "Snippily, Snappily, Doo."

Here are the best things to do when you're sick, IMHO.

DO:

Watch JESSICA JONES: My friend Sam kept pushing me to watch, partly because it's amazing and partly because I am a huge sucker for anything Marvel/Stan Lee-produced. I had been disappointed with a few other Marvel spin-offs, but Jessica Jones blows it out of the water. Keep in mind that I hate Krysten Ritter prior to this show, but she brings a hard-edged, vulnerably honest feminist persona to the show, which deals with issues like PTSD and rape with a grace I haven't seen before. I was super effing impressed. The highly stylized action show is perfect for binge watching when struck with the plague.

Also watch INSTAGRAM HUSBAND - I'm in the market for one, so lemme know if you have a taker.

Also I watched JENNY'S WEDDING in Netflix with Katherine Heigl (aka Izzy from Grey's Anatomy) and Alexis Bledel (Rory from Gilmore Girls), a half rom com, half drama about a family's coming to terms with their lesbian daughter's impending nuptials. Heartfelt and poignant (read: I sobbed like a baby).

OMGOMGOMGOM SERIAL IS BACK. #bestpodcastever

ALSO BUY A HUMIDIFIER. Influenster gave me a Honeywell Console Humidifier to try out, and it has been a godsend. Winters in LA are dry, especially when the weather falls below 70 and I have to turn the heat on. With my strep throat, the dry air was basically making me regret waking up, so I moved the humidifier into my room and it not only kept my throat from getting super dry and gross, but also is soothing my skin. I should have a gotten a humidifier ages ago, but I have to say this one is quiet AF, super easy to set up and use, and has presets, so I don't have to worry about the level of humidity or worrying about turning it on or off. It's pretty dope.

DRINK:

LAVENDER LEMON HOT TODDY: I'm not one for medications, and I believe that lavender and lemon can cure pretty much anything - viruses to heartbreak. The other day, I tossed together a shot of whisky, the juice of one lemon, a spoonful of honey and some dried lavender buds, plus boiling water to top off and it immediately soothed my aching throat - my cold heart will take a bit more unfortunately.




READ:

THE FIVE STAGES GHOSTING GRIEF - ooooof, I feel you girl. (Cue Exes and Ohs by Elle King)"At 6:30 a.m. I was blow-drying my hair, getting ready for work and accepting the demise of my two-week relationship. The nail in the coffin was that at 10 the night before I had texted him something vaguely sexual, and he hadn’t texted back."

The Weird Athleticism of the Victoria's Secret Model - I need to go back to pilates ASAP after being sick."It was a show fit for a culture of Crossfit and Fitbit and #fitnessgoals—a culture that is slowly coming around to believe, as a poster at my gym declares, that “strong is the new thin.”"


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...