Monday, October 12, 2015

Tabula Rasa + Amy Schumer, Aziz, Bowie, Jagger and My Best Friends

party time
This weekend felt full of fresh starts, though I didn't really start anything new. Strange, isn't it? That you just wake up one day and you're like yeah, yeah, this is the day. Day for what? I don't know, but I woke up Friday feeling so happy. Mostly because my best friend of 20 years got her ass back to California for a few days before moving to Montreal.
cocktails at Lola Gaspar
Lauren came up Friday night and we had grand plans to get our dance on at my favorite gritty dive bar, Short Stop. But after Evan's request of sorbet mimosas and with Brandon, Mark, Jamie, Jeff, Carey and Paras joining us, we ended up blasting South African dance music and talking politics until 3am. Yes. All the yes.

Lauren and I managed to crawl out of bed at an ungodly hour and head to Sqirl for sustenance. Brioche toast with fresh ricotta and blackberry lemon verbena preserves - I die.
Toast and my best friend -> hangover cure

A couple of weeks ago, my boss and I did a hit and run at the Taschen Gallery for the Mick Ross/Bowie exhibit and I had been wanting to go back and do it properly, since the previous trip had been rushed and slightly marred by my boss' rendition of Space Oddity. Mick Ross followed Bowie around on tour during 1972/3 and took some amazing photos. Lauren and I perused and also discovered Taschen's other half of the gallery housed photos of the Rolling Stones and the Beatles as well as some other iconic artists. Super legit. It's free. They have beer. Everyone should check it out.

I spent the next two days being pampered by my mom (crepes and samosas - I am rather spoiled), and prepping for my future - whatever that means.
all the ice cream

Yesterday, I finally showered and got dressed and Jeff picked me up for cocktails at Lola Gaspar, ice cream at Chunk-N-Chip, and then Aziz and Amy Schumer at the Oddball Comedy Fest.

Lola Gaspar - I had been on a date here that ended badly, but I had wanted to go back and reclaim it. It's a cute Spanish tapas bar with a charming little patio. Cocktails were pretty good, wine list was short, and the food was fine, if not a bit salty. I don't know if I'd go back for anything more than drinks, but it was pleasant enough. #jeffwasnotimpressed
#jeffwasnotimpressed

Chunk-N-Chip: Super cute little booth in the high-brow cafeteria known as EastEnd Kitchen in Santa Ana, which is very much like the Anaheim Packing House, but less packed (lol). A half-scoop of fruity pebble ice cream and half-scoop orange blossom honey ice cream. Since it was a bajllion degrees last night, the ice cream was a reprieve from feeling like I was traipsing through an inferno.
Bowie and Jagger = <3 td="">
The comedy show was amazing. But I wasn't expecting anything else. The comedy erred on the side of crass, outrageous, and hilarious, and Amy Schumer delivered despite being hungover/still drunk from hosting SNL. She did throw out a heckler in a very obvious and badass way, so props to her. And I love Aziz. So much.

Got home at 1am. Had a 7am meeting. Now eking out survival on Bhakti chai and trial briefs.

kbye.






No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...