Monday, October 26, 2015

Cornucopia - Fall Weekend 1

walking the "green carpet" at the EMAs
Abundant is really the right word for the last few days. And perhaps the next few weeks. Aside from work and yoga and cuddling Sophie, I have a networking event on Wed., Jacy is coming to town, flight to Portland on Friday, then SF (for El Vy!), Art Garfunkel, Ellie(!) comes to town, a Gloria Steinam talk and then the UCLA football game, plus Interview with a Bruin and Thanksgiving. Geez. Imma have to up my B12 and Maca doses.
front row glam












This past week was amazing, partly bc I put some of my wandering thoughts to rest. I'm just chillin right now and feeling great about it.

I'm way too excited about chicken
Last Thursday, I made a dinner menu straight from Saveur. Now I don't usually do this, because why would I ever need to follow a recipe? But I've been a bit bored of food lately (and lost the weight to prove it, with the exception of triple cream brie). So I made a sage roasted chicken, roasted radishes with thyme, roasted garlic cheddar mashed potatoes, and an autumnal butternut squash, arugula salad. Michael, Evan, Jamie and Jeff came over and gave it pretty good reviews. It was a lovely, light fall meal. But a bit boring. I'm still on the hunt for another crown jewel meal to add to my repertoire (banh mi tacos, sweet potato gnocchi, dutch oven ribs, white wine poached salmon).
The Gorgeous Rahia
Friday, I had an awful conference at LAX, only made worth it for an impromptu happy hour with my beautiful friend Rahia. We had so much to catch up on, it was rapid-fire question and answer sesh. We met in Manhattan Beach at the Rockefeller, which is a few blocks from the beach and has a pretty decent wine selection.
Cotton Jones at the Satellite

Later, G$ (Grant) headed up for a backyard happy hour with me before we headed to the Satellite for the Cotton Jones show. My other Michael had told me years ago to see them live, and quite randomly I realized they were playing in LA and coerced Grant into coming with me. They did not disappoint - genuine, earnest and traditional folk. I was alllll about it. Then of course we finished the night off by taking an Uber to Taco Zone for mulitas de suaderos. Lake walk and Blue Bottle in the AM was the best way to start the weekend. [And also, just a note, I am soooooo lucky to have Mr. Hartwell in my life. He always cheers me up, grounds me and inspires me. Love that dude].
grant waiting for mulitas

I had the conference again Saturday morning. Which wiped me out. But my old friend Kelsey hit me up randomly to go to the Environmental Media Association (EMA) Awards and Gala. Totally amazing red carpet event, which honored, among others, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kristin Davis, and Don Henley (of the Eagles) for their work. Very rarely do I have a chance to glam out AND also talk to influential people about my work in social justice, but this was the event to do so. I had such an amazing time and hope that I get to do more things like that in the future.

Sunday I was meant to go to Joshua Tree with Jamie and Jeff. But we had a bit of a late start, so I ran a few errands, met Aline for a quick breakfast and hung out with an old friend for the afternoon. Later, Jamie and Jeff prepared an authentic, light and heartfelt tapas meal and I fell into bed satiated and exhausted.





THE MULITA 




No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...