Monday, November 24, 2014

All'Acqua

All'Acqua 
3280 Glendale Blvd.

So I passed the California Bar!!! WOOOOOOO!

I'm going to write on my study process and the night I actually found out, but probably tomorrow. So this weekend was full of celebrations, including the Bruin win on Saturday and attending the restaurant opening of All'Acqua on Saturday with Carey, Lauren, Hobie, Larry, Maj and some other new friends. Carey had preemptively made a reservation as soon as she found out the opening, and it was a great choice, bc the place was PACKED.


All'Acqua is the newest restaurant from our old brunch fave, Barbrix. It's an Italian style eatery, with all my favorites (mainly meaning good cheeses).

Lauren and I started with wood grilled spanish octopus with mixed citrus, shaved fennel, olives, pickled chilis (my favorite), and a delicious dressing. It was much more of a salad than what I expected, but amazing balance of flavors and totally different than what I expected. By far, my favorite.



We also had the PEI mussels in umido, which had a tomato based sauce with 'ndujo, fennel pollen and orange peel. I had had a similar dish at Bestia, which you all know is possibly the best restaurant ever, and wasn't quite a fan. However, this mussel dish blew Bestia's out of the water. Again, the balance of flavors was perfect, not too much heat and just enough salt. I was really impressed, even if the mussels seemed on the small side (I guess I'm not in Brussels anymore, lol.)


We ended with the ricotta gnocchi with the oxtail ragu. Technically perfect, the gnocchi was soft and light. However, the oxtail ragu was a bit too mundane for me. The flavors weren't anything new, and there was a bit too much cinnamon or something in it.

It was opening night and the service was a little touch and go. I really enjoyed our server's sense of humor, however, there were a few lengthy periods where she didn't come check in on us or take our order. Also, a server accidentally poured water over our table, but was quick to clean it up and very sweet about it. Just a few little hiccups, but overall great.

The general decor was the romantic, industrial chic, which is on trend. In addition, I liked its location near all my other favorite places in Atwater. If I were still living there, it would be a staple dinner place for sure, especially with the great wine list.

In addition, it was a lovely celebration to be around such smart and funny and wonderful people, especially when nursing my champagne headache from the night before.

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...