Monday, September 29, 2014

Five Days in DC - Day 3

Before I launch into my Day 3 DC goings-on, I thought I'd take a minute to say I AM STRESSED. Almost to that overwhelming-anxiety-induced, insomnia-resulting, give-me-a-glass-of-wine-before-I-scream, stressed.

It's hard to say exactly why I am so stressed. I have an ample amount of work to keep me busy, business lunches planned, a trip to Mammoth in the works for pie and hiking, aspirations to get a manicure, etc. However, I am at a point where weeding out superfluous anxieties is a complete necessity, including the boxes of stuff in the garage, my disgustingly overfilled email accounts and people who have frustratingly ambiguous roles in my life. 


Anywho, you'll have to excuse me if I launch into a complete downward spiral of tirades and pinteresting. Back the regularly scheduled programming:



Day 3 in DC started with a coffee from Dolcezza as well as a quick perusing through their amazing gelato flavors. Cailin prepared a beautiful brunch of a omelette including (turkey) bacon and Rafi, our talented barman, whipped up some Bloody Marys, which were quite the wake-up call. He used a Bloody Mary mix called "Birth of Pain," that he and Cailin had picked up at the Farmers Market. From their website: "Born from the fiery fields of our farm emerges a new level of the most pleasurable pain.  The "Birth of Pain" made with only our freshest Heirloom Tomatoes, blended fresh vegetables and spices and, of course, the infamous Scotch Bonnet Pepper.  Weak Souls...Heed this Warning:  Prepare yourself for the "Birth of Pain".  It will satisfy your deepest desire to surrender your taste buds to your Master."



So if that is any indication of its strength, you can imagine the deliciousness. I totally want to order some myself.


Later after some napping, Cailin and I went on a jaunt to Georgetown for macarons from Olivia (I tried the red velvet and the rose), which were absolutely lovely and I got to gawk over the gorgeous architecture in the idyllic afternoon sun. 












I then checked into my hotel, the Mandarin Oriental, which is just off the National Mall. It was walking distance to my work, which I'll detail tomorrow, and offered lush accommodations and a great outdoor bar.  Laxmi met me and we enjoyed a late afternoon glass of wine before heading to Jose Andres' DC restaurant, Zaytinya, which blends Turkish, Lebanese and Greek cuisines. Phenomenal. First, the space is massive and packed for a Sunday night. The wine list was dynamic an unique with delicious wines from Lebanon and Greece. We were seated inside, which helped us avoid the crazy summer downpour outside and the service was impeccable. 


We ordered the labneh to begin. Omg. I can't even. I'm salivating just thinking about it. So fresh, simple, rich. It's kind of ridiculous that once I had that simple appetizer, I thought the meal couldn't get any better. But of course, it did. I am incredibly grateful that Laxmi is just as much as a foodie as I am. We also ordered the horta salata (kale, smoked olives and fava santorini), piyaz (warm giant beans, kale, oven-roasted tomatoes and garlic) and the seared haloumi cheese (with watermelon, mint and tomatoes). I know the dishes sound very simple, like how impressive can "warm giant beans" be. UM CRAZILY DELICIOUS. LIKE EXPLODE IN YOUR MOUTH. I WILL NEVER HAVE BEANS THAT GOOD AGAIN DELICIOUS.



So you have to go. Period. Again, a great day of friends and food.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...