Thursday, September 25, 2014

Five Days in DC - Day 1

Confession 1: I had never been to DC until this past week.
Confession 2: I want to live there ASAP.


Of course, it most certainly helped that I had the best group of hosts ever, including first and foremost, Miss Cailin, as well as Laxmi and Annie and Millie and Will. I had the privilege of the trip by virtue of a short-term work project (more on that later - I'm too stressed and inspired to discuss now). Upon arrival, on Friday, however, it was just a vacay, mostly centered around the bustle of 14th Street. (Which is the area Cailin resides and the area I plan on living once Sophie and I relocate to our brick row home - I can dream right?)

Friday began with the beer garden, Garden District, where I caught up with Annie and her work at The New Republic. Annie is one of the most thoughtful people I know. Not just in a sweet, caring way, but deliberate and smart in her conversations. She is also one of those people that we may not keep in the best day to day contact, but whenever I see her, we fall into our old ways. The beer garden was bright, fresh, hipster-y with large herds of buttoned-up boys getting off work and preparing for Friday night shenanigans. It felt like an older, polished college beer garden, but brimming with intellect and vibrancy. I would go here every day.

Later, Cailin met us and we hopped across the street to an new Italian restaurant called Lupo Verde. It is that industrial-chic vibe I love, with wood beams, high stools, and aproned waiters. The winners of the night, included the octopus salad and the swordfish tartare (the best way to eat swordfish in my opinion.) It was perfectly prepared food, fresh and clean. The pasta was delicious, but you can't get better than my favorite at Bestia.


Later, Cailin and I hightailed it over to Right Proper, a newish bar, which is huge with a great house made beer selection and friendly tenders. I also got to meet some of Cailin's friends, including Rachel, off of whom impressed me with their warmness and ambition. Pro tip: get the Raised by Wolves beer, an almost IPA, and the baked Mac and Cheese (THE BEST DISH EVER - like 18 cheeses and deliciously salty.)



Cailin and I finished up the evening catching up at her gorgeous studio with Emile, her stately black cat, and some great red wine. (P.S. seltzer is amazing at getting red wine out of new couches.)

Although I had traveled all day, seeing Cailin and Annie filled me with such energy and gratitude. They are so kind, loyal, caring and crazily smart. Like crazily. More on my other days in DC but back to the grindstone.

xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...