Thursday, September 11, 2014

A night in Queens and Brooklyn



Last Saturday, upon my arrival to JFK airport and the three hour hot, humid, gritty journey across the NY subway to Queens, I was withering away from exhaustion, dehydration and a general hate for all humans. I didn't sleep very well and was too enthralled with House of Cards on the plane to properly rest. 

But first stop saved me from an imminent demise: iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts at one of my subway stops - my saving grace, my oasis in the bleak landscape of 90 percent humidity and having to carry my overloaded Longchamp weekend bag over 9 miles of stairs, cement and trains. Only regret? Should have gotten a donut.

First stop:
Taverna Kyclades
33-07 Ditmars Blvd, New York, NY 11105
(718) 545-8666


So then I met Nat and E at our Airbnb and we ventured out of our apt in the face of a thunderstorm because with only coffee in my stomach, I was ready to kill. We decided on Taverna Kyclades, which served the best grilled octopus I've had since I backpacked through Greece four years ago. It was ridiculously amazing - perfectly cooked, tender, with a hint of that beautiful grilling char. Served with lemon, it was a simple refreshing dish.

We also ordered the fried calamari, mythos beers (a light Greek lager), and some dips, including taramosalata, tzatziki, and skordalia. It was a lovely little patio we sat in, under an umbrella with a cool breeze. It was perfect for hipster watching (so many cute pups). By the time we left, there was a line down the block for this place, with a wait of up to two hours. Nat and E said that the night before at around midnight, the line was still that crazy. It was perfect fare for a sweltering summer afternoon. 








Second stop:
Brooklyn Bridge Park
Before meeting up with old friends, Nat, E and I skedaddled around the park, taking a few selfies, checking out the phone charging stations (amazing!) and drooling over all the cute restaurants. 











Third stop:
Grimaldis
Under the Brooklyn Bridge,
1 Front Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Phone. 718-858-4300


5 Front St
Brooklyn, NY 11201

This is a must-stop for me every time I go to NYC. They have changed locations to a bright, white, industrial chic spot in the same area. Thin crust, thick cut pepperoni, and an adorably sweet waiters (Thanks Ernie!). The only downside is that their liquor license is still pending, but have no fear, in the midst of a crazy storm, we found a cute little margarita bar around the corner, housing delicious drinks (and my favorite from Gilmore Girls and Supernatural, Jared Padalecki!). 



Fourth Stop:
Gran/Electric 
5 Front St, Brooklyn, NY 11201
(718) 852-2700

We enjoyed a couple of rounds of their refreshing, not so sweet, margs with our reunited group of six and essentially got kicked out since we closed the place down. I almost reclaimed my youth until I realized the restaurant closes at midnight. 


Fifth Stop:
Brooklyn Bridge
It had to happen. We rapped Jay-Z, walking through the fog, checking out the skyline, the lights, and scaring the general population. We missed the rain, soaked in the city life, and collapsed into bed like zombies. An amazing time :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...