Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Addicted. The Bread and Bacon Edition.

So now that I'm obsessed with baking French bread, (I've made six loaves in the last week), I've been experimenting with other things.

Last night, I made orange marmalade to go with fresh warm bread in honor of Mr. Breadman aka Grant Hartwell's visit. Just as I was nervous about baking, I've also been nervous about making jams/preserves, etc. But following through with some personal goals, I used a simple recipe and was quite happy with the results.




Orange Marmalade:
5 small oranges, cut in half, sliced thinly.
4 cups of water
2 cups sugar
roughly a teaspoon of cinnamon

I used a heavy pot and threw in the orange slices and water and brought to a boil. Boil until the fruit is tender. (If I could break the peel with the wooden spoon, it was pretty good.) Add sugar and cin, lower heat and stir until you get the consistency you're looking for. This took about 25 mins. Cool and spread generously on warm bread with butter.

This morning, Arianna and I took Sophie hiking and stopped by Highland Cafe for lattes. I drooled over someone's French toast and then realized I had leftover bread from last night. Done and Done.



Almond and Cinnamon French Toast
Egg mixture:
1 egg
Dash of milk
Cinn
Dash of almond extract

Stir up the egg mixture, heat up pan with a bit of veg oil. Slice French bread thinly and coat with egg mixture.
On medium heat, cook toast until golden brown on both sides. I threw on some sliced banana and some maple syrup for a quick breakfast.

But just in case you aren't in a sweets mood, I also made a legit "salad."

Warmed Winter Bacon Salad
Package of bacon
Two sweet potatoes
Package of shaved Brussels
Half of a red onion
Half package of Kale
a few oz of goat cheese
apple cider vinegar
salt/pepper to taste

This isn't healthy, but don't judge because you'll love it. (You can judge the fact we ate this with Scott's hot wings; my body is still recovering.)

Fry up bacon. Once crispy, throw in chopped and peeled sweet potato. Fry up till sweet potato is tender. Throwing in kale, cook until tender. Then throw in red onion and kale. Stir up, cook until tender. Add salt, pepper, and about a tablespoon or two of vinegar. Then stir in crumbled goat cheese. Inhale.

I'm getting back into my cooking mode, thank god. I just need to aim toward more healthy. But that'll be another post.

In other news, we did have a small house fire this past weekend. Everyone is okay but it was terrifying. Arianna and I were home when it happened and thank god for her sensitive nose and quick instincts. Because of the incident and for other reasons, I am bidding the Fig House adieu and headed toward a new place (at least temporarily) in... ATWATER! Its an adorable neighborhood with generous and amazing people. I am so excited to be a part of their community although I will miss the Fig House (even though I'll probably be dropping in a bit.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...