Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pie Perfection.

Pie Hole
714 Traction Ave.,
Downtown Los Angeles

When Carrie came down a couple of weekends ago, she was adamant that we check out the Pie Hole, a new pie place in downtown LA. So after enjoying the Getty, then eating at Sage, we toddled over to the Pie Hole and split a taste of the chocolate crostada with sea salt caramel topping. OH. MY. GOD.

So the Pie Hole is perfect. The decor is my new fave - industrial chic - with a mix of wood and aluminium and sweet DIY-ish details. We went around 7ish, which meant that most of their delectables had already sold out, but we lucked out with our pie. The Pie Hole is family-run and its completely evident by the friendliness of the staff and the obvious care that goes into each and every slice.

So onto the pie. The crust was interesting and I mean that it in a good/great way - it wasn't a traditional crust. Instead, it was had a more egg-y quality, thinner and more pliable. That sounds weird, but it complemented the chocolate filling, which sort of a brownie gooey goodness. I was telling my mom the other day that a lot of the chocolate, both in candy and desserts, that I have had since coming back from England has been disappointing and waxy. But this filling was rich, real, and perfectly cooked. And the sea salt caramel cut through the sweetness perfectly and woke up one's tastebuds.

During our inhalation of our pie, one of the Pie Hole "family members" approached us and asked how we liked it, to which I responded "I want to marry this pie." Cool. #alittletooexcited. But she was incredibly sweet and told us that if we had any critiques or suggestions that the Pie Hole would love to hear it. LOVE IT. The whole staff was so attentive and warm and they really cared about the quality of the food as well as how their customers felt.

Carrie and I were ready to move in. But seeing as we had beer to drink at Angel City Brewing (great cheap microbrews, but more on that later!), I settled on buying the two last banana nutella whoopie pies for Jason/breakfast. They were nicely sized and I didn't think you could make Nutella better. You can - by making it a buttercream filling.

I need to go back. Like right now. I'm drooling over my keyboard.


photos above from Piehole
Chocolate crostada with sea salt caramel topping c/o Oh Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...