Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Tuesday Wanderings

So this is the second day of my commuting and it hasn't been nearly as bad as I anticipated. (Lol and knowing my luck, I'll be stuck in traffic for three hours.) But driving allows me to catch up on my music and get all that neurotic thinking out of the way before I get to school and today the drive was only about 27 minutes. And I am thankful for the additional time in the library. In fact, I'm currently working on my civpro outline. Yay.

In other news, Gillian, Aviva, and I attended an informational meeting on mentoring youths at risk, which sounds like an amazing opportunity. This morning before I even went to the meeting, Carrie and I were G-chatting about our future cafe/community space/gallery/bakery/bar/boutique (this is like our dream) and Carrie brought up 826 LA, which is an organization on Sunset that runs after-school programs, including one on creative writing for young students. I was telling her I would love to do that. After today, I know that I need to get back to my volunteer work. It is something that has always grounded me and kept me focused on issues that are important to me, especially social justice ones, while allows me to build personal relationships. So now I just have to figure out which one is best for me and make sure I have quality time to allocate to whatever I choose. I don't know if I should look in Los Angeles or Orange County. My friend Aimee just started volunteering at her local pound in Santa Cruz, which appeals to me too. Or working in an urban garden. So many options. I really want to find a long-term opportunity, so I think I'll spend some time this weekend doing research on the best option for me.

Since moving home, I really want to up my productivity, since I've gotten off track with everything that has been happening in the last few weeks. I managed to catch up on some personal emails today with my international friends ( <3 Elisa and Lauren), drafted a cover letter, and went on a run (I am abysmally sore). I want to catch up on my outlining by this weekend and make soup. I don't know why I'm into soup right now, but just go with it.

But there is some fun in the works. For instance, yesterday, Aviva and I studied at the Bungalow on Larchmont. I had a delicious soy chai latte. Cool me considering studying at a locale other than the library fun. But tonight I am meeting my friend Veronica at Church & State for a French bistro dinner - the menu looks phenomenal. I still have two hours before I eat and my Elevenses bar is not tiding me over like one would hope. Then tomorrow, Nathalie and I are indulging in lavender milk tea at Eden Cafe. It's actually what the idyllic summer evenings of my preteen years tastes like - happiness and relaxation. Did you like that metaphor? :-) Then, Vivs, G and I may go to the Beverly Hills Barrister Happy Hour on Thursday and do some much needed networking. But we are definitely attending a panel on the death penalty on Thursday and the LGBT symposium on Friday, which I am so looking forward, especially the panel on LGBT families and the law.

And Saturday is the Public Interest Law Foundations Auction and Dinner. It'll be fun to get dressed up and help the community while I'm at it. Also hoping to fit in a trail run (Kelsey, are you up for it?), try a new recipe (soup again,) and squeeze in a yoga class.

Thankfully, all this activity is probably going to improve my state of mind, focus, and general well-being. And of course, I always need accompanying music :-)
My pick for this week:

1 comment:

  1. I'm obviously catching up on my blogs - let's chat (but not chit chat) about the Bev Hills thing and the LGBT symposium in terms of logistics!!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...