Friday, December 5, 2014

Grey Day Comforts + a Bacon Recipe

The last few days have been an emotional roller coaster. Between making hard choices about what I want to do with my life, discovering new things about people in my life and what to do with that information, and trying to get Sophie to pee in the rain, it has been a long week. Margs with Christina, a delicious dinner at Tar and Roses with Alene, and finally being sworn in as a licensed attorney have certainly been cushioning the dreariness however along with truffle goat cheese pizza making and hiking with Jacy and Evan.

[I would like to add that I have been feeling disillusioned and disappointed with both the Ferguson and Garner cases as well as with UVA revelations. However, this blog has never been my venue to discus my political and social beliefs. It is important, however, for me to acknowledge that these events have affected me deeply.]

But on to other things. I want to practice a bit more gratitude in looking at the things in my life that are good and sharing them with you :)

1. My Bacon Sandwich Brunch

I've been enjoying my mornings with my mom, over good coffee and discussions about politics, which sometimes get a bit heated. It's also my opportunity to cook, since Jas doesn't invade the kitchen until later in the day. Today, I made the following breakfast sandwich, which was delicious - it has rosemary, chili bacon, with sriracha mayo, lettuce, a fried egg, grilled onions and melted aged English cheddar cheese.



Recipe (if you can call it that):
- Sriracha mayo: 1 tbsp of mayo mixed with sriracha to taste
- Bacon (fried in fresh rosemary and chili flakes until crispy)
- Fried egg (obviously over-easy)
- French bread, toasted with your favorite cheese
- Onions, fried in the bacon fat
- Some organic, washed lettuce (arugula would be great too)

Assemble. Inhale.

2. Reading Longread's Best of 2014.
Great long-form narratives. I've especially liked "The Murders at the Lake" by Michael Hall. It's totally like Serial except in magazine form. Also, Like Malone's "You’re 16. You’re a Pedophile. You Don’t Wantto Hurt Anyone. What Do You Do Now?" It's a sympathetic look at individuals who are often reviled. It is sensitively done and interesting. Definitely a must-read.

3. Being inspired by ClosetVisit at the recommendation of my friend Machiko. 
It's become my addiction and style inspiration. The blog documents the style, closets, homes and inspiration of interesting and trendsetting women, including film directors, travel bloggers, designers and photographers.




4. Beverages of all kinds.


This sounds dumb, but omg, this week has been winning. I've had a host of high quality and comforting drinks this week. You must try the:

- Lavender-whiskey cocktail at The Edison
- The mocha at Modern Eats (a new brunch place, which also has amazing fennel sausage)
- The coffee at Woodcat Coffee in Echo Park. I thought this cafe was silly for opening up down the street from Stories, but the quality is superb and the vibe super chill.
- The Breathe Easy tea from Traditional Medicinals to ward off any winter blues.

5. The coming weeks.

Despite my uncertain future, the next few weeks are looking fun and relaxing, with the IPA Fest tomorrow at Mohawk Bend, birthday celebrations in DTLA tonight for my friend Kayla, holiday parties, brunch plans with my former co-clerks, baking days and girls' nights. I'm trying to take the advice of my mom and family friend Katherine, that I should soak up this low-key time and enjoy myself. Which is exactly what I plan on doing.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...