Thursday, June 26, 2014

Taco Night: Korean Fried Chicken Tacos

I've been studying at my mom's for the last couple of days because of the unlimited coffee, flowers and snack plates (thanks mom!). Last night, I was planning on heading back to LA when my mom offered to make me dinner, which turned into me making her dinner... and then cleaning the kitchen. Yeah, I don't know how that happened - she's good at what she does.

My mom had purchased gojujang (Korean chile paste) at the Korean store and I had been meaning to use it for something. When I realized we also had soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil (loving this well-stocked pantry), I got to work. 

The recipe turned out amazingly - if not a bit hot. I cut down on the honey and added another tbsp of the chile paste. The recipe here is for the more faint-hearted, don't worry.

Now back to my lavender coffee and my lecture (and watching the world cup game).

xx




Korean Fried Chicken Tacos:

Make the SLAW:
Two cups julienned green cabbage with two or three grated carrots and 1/2 a red onion, sliced.
Juice of two limes
1/2 inch grated ginger (for digestion people)
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce

The CHICKEN:
Cut up trimmed chicken breasts into bite sized pieces.
Mix 1 cup flour with 1 tbsp cornstarch and enough water to make a pancake-like batter.
Coat the chicken.
Heat up pot with a few inches of oil.
Once it's hot (i.e. chicken sizzles when placed in), throw in some pieces
Fry for a few minutes (4-5)
Let drain while you fry your subsequent batches.
THEN FRY AGAIN (4-5 minutes)
It should become a more golden brown

Once chicken cools off so it doesn't blister your finger,


Throw the chicken bits in the SAUCE:
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch ginger, grated
2 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp gojunjang
2 tsbp rice vinegar
1/2 tsbp sesame oil (my mom is not a huge fan, I would add 1 tsbp if it was just me)
1 tbsp honey

THEN throw the SLAW and CHICKEN in a charred corn tortillas. Sprinkle with some CILANTRO and serve with LIME.


Yum.




No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...