Monday, February 24, 2014

Dinners for 12 Strangers!

I've written about being ridiculously proud of being a Bruin sporadically in the past. One of the best activities I have participated in has been Dinners for 12 Strangers. I haven't missed a dinner since 2007, have attended a Dinner in London and have had the opportunity to host my own the last two years with Anthony.


A Dinner for 12 Strangers is essentially a smattering of 12 individuals: students, alumni, faculty, grad students, etc. Someone signs up to host (i.e. me) and then invitations are sent out to students and others who would like to participate/eat home-cooked food. We had such a wonderfully energetic and fun group of students last night and Anthony and I planned and executed a rather delicious menu:


  • Bacon-wrapped dates stuffed with blue cheese
  • Caprese salad 
  • Quinoa Salad with roasted Brussels and sweet potatoes with a honey-lemon dressing
  • Cheese plate with brie, pecorino, prosciutto, salami and grapes
  • Various flatbreads with mozzarella and herbed goat cheese, andouille sausage, caramelized onions and thyme mushrooms with pesto and a vodka cream sauce
  • Lemon Bars
  • Chocolate and Vanilla Macarons 


This event allows students to interact with alumni, young and old, and become a part of the broader UCLA network. In addition, it allows psychotically enthusiastic alumni like myself to keep in touch with my youth. (Dude, I felt so old.) And I had guinea pigs for my new recipes (i.e. the quinoa salad.)

I had an amazing time and I hope the attendees did as well :)

GO BRUINS
P.S. How great is my sorority squat in that first photo? Be jealous.




No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...