Monday, February 11, 2013

Cafe Stella

Cafe Stella
3932 W Sunset Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90029

Yoooooo -

So my weekend was full of interviews and meek attempts at cleaning my room. So then I just escaped on Sunday to watch Downton with my family. In other news, I'm juicing this week, which I'm excited about and then throwing a V-Day party on Thursday night. Other big things: making over my dining room this weekend in time for my Dinners for 12 Strangers on Feb 24.

So back to Cafe Stella. Aline, Alene and Seda wanted to finally catch up and we chose Cafe Stella on Sunset on Saturday night. So glad I made a res - place was incredibly crowded. We valeted, since street parking was a mess. The restaurant is at Sunset Junction, which is an area I adore.

This place reminded me a little of Chez Janou in Paris, which already meant I loved it (minus the music choices which they need to improve.)

The food and drink:

  1. Francesco Rinaldo red - the cheapest red on the menu - we are starving 20-somethings after all ($39/bottle). Slightly acidic, but worked well with the food.
  2. Truffle fries - AMAZING. We inhaled these at an extreme rate. It was brutal.
  3. Mussels - We were drinking the white wine butter sauce; perfectly cooked mussels.
  4. Steak frites - We asked for it medium (generally I order it medium rare) - a bit tough and a bit bland. Not the best.
  5. Kale Salad - lovely light vinaigrette 
  6. Beet Salad - simple, fresh.
  7. Pot au Chocolat - phenomenal - the best thing we had all night.
  8. Creme Brulee - Also a beautifully prepared dessert.
The ambiance is lovely - lighting, decor, etc. The brick floors, wood paneling, general feel. I really enjoyed it. 

What I didn't enjoy: The service was poor. Our water glasses weren't refilled with any sort of purpose. We ordered bread, which never came. We also waited about 30-45 mins between each course. I understand the European style of eating and god knows I love it, but we drank a bottle of wine before our order was even taken. Perhaps a good way to encourage imbibing, but not good for hungry girls and gossiping.



No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...