Thursday, July 19, 2012

The High(Land) Life

There were a few things on my list that I still needed to check out in Highland Park.
- The Second Saturday (which I missed this month - darn)
- Hermosillo (a bar that recently underwent some changes and was featured in Thrillist)
- Highland Park Kitchen
Ba Restaurant
- Cafe De Leche (esp. the horchata latte)
- Antigua Coffee
- The York trivia night
- The Farmer's Market
- Fashion 21 (the original Forever 21 first opened in Highland Park)
- La Cuevita (another bar - lol)
... and countless other things.

But on Tuesday, Jenaba, Lennie, and I had an epic evening. First, we hit up the farmer's market, one of the oldest in LA, and bought corn, green beans, peaches, cherries, sweet potatoes, beets, nectarines, strawberries and carrots. So far, I've tasted a gorgeous nectarine and roasted some beets for a beet salad (my fave). Absolutely gorgeous organic produce for just a couple of bucks.





I had no idea that Highland Park has its own food truck central on Tuesday. I started with samosa chaat from India Jones. That's like Indian potato dumplings, with yogurt cucumber sauce, tamarind chutney, garbanzos, and mint. Yum. Then for dessert, we had CoolHaus ice cream. I indulged in a chocolate chip cookie, red velvet ice cream sandwich. I died. Even Lennie loved his sample of vanilla ice cream.





Then to finish off the night, we stopped by Figueroa Produce, which is an organic, healthy, amazing grocer with natural products. Definitely going again. They have great vegan cheeses and condiments, as well as my favorite natural soaps. And it's only a short drive from my house. WIN.

Then we watched Jeopardy with Jefferson and cleaned the house. (I think that helped work off a chocolate chip or two :-) )

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...