Sunday, October 31, 2010

{Music} Thoughts on Katy Perry

I have mixed feelings about Katy Perry. When she hit the charts with "I Kissed a Girl," I thought she was going to be a one-hit wonder. I thought she would fade into oblivion with a host of other poptarts with quasi-controversial performance tactics. And I thought she was a Britney Spears meets Zooey Deschanel hybrid. Frankly, I found her annoying.

But then I fell in love with "Hot and Cold" and then "Waking up in Vegas" and then "Teenage Dream." (I really, really like "Teenage Dream.")

She's gorgeous and has a sense of humor and has a talent for performing.

But then there was "California Gurls," which I thought was over-the-top and contradicted by feminist sensibilities. I hated it, especially when she compared it to Jay-Z's "Empire State of Mind," saying it was a West Coast anthem. But then I moved to London and even thought I don't voluntarily listen to it, I've come to own it, as a California girl (who drives a jeep.)

Anyway, I just watched the video for "Firework." The fireworks initially seemed silly, but the video is beautifully composed and Katy Perry looks gorgeous. So gorgeous, in fact, that I want to put purple streaks in my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...