Friday, October 29, 2010

{Future} Wait, so what should I do?

I'm in the process of debating whether or not to go to law school. I'm currently working on a master's in Social Policy, but I'd like to do legal advocacy work regarding human rights law, and more specifically, women and human rights. Preferably on an international scale - so I can travel.

And then my dad sends me this article published on Slate.com.

Okay, so I am concerned and yet simultaneously dismissive.

Concerned for the following reasons:
1. I have to spend a lot of money on law school and according to this article, may not even find a job.
2. If I do a find a job, it may not even pay enough to break even.
3. Since there is such a high supply of lawyers, I may have to take a job I don't really like for an extended period of time, which would make me unhappy.
4. Essentially, I am scared I will get an education that will mean nothing.

I am dismissive for the following:
1. I want to practice in a niche area. That has to count for something, right? Right?
2. I like the idea of studying human rights law/law even if I don't end up practicing as a traditional lawyer.
3. As long as I get a paying job and can pay off student loans at an acceptable rate, I would be overjoyed. I don't plan on living in a mansion, I just want my cardboard box of integrity.
4. Baby boomers should be retiring soon - does that mean jobs will open up?

I mean, then there is the obvious issue that I haven't even gotten into law school yet, so maybe I'll just cross that bridge when I can get there.

Cool beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...